FURKIN Battery Acid !!!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my battery has decided to have a bit of a tanty and I have ended up with acid going down in the sheet metal under the battery tray.

The metal sealer has bubbled so obviously the acids eaten it but I cant get to it unless I cut out the battery tray.
I really dont wanna do that but I needs to do something
Any ideas on what to fix this with?

Mate, flush it with lots of fresh water and soda ash if you have a pool (it's an alkali). Failing that, I'm fairly certain that dishwasher powder is alkaline.

Once you've doused about 10 litres of alkali mix on it, give it a good spray with a gerni/karcher and then let it dry for a day. You could get a hair dryer and aim it in there for about 10 minutes, it'll do the trick, but don't paint onto a hot surface - let it cool for half an hour afterwards.

After that, I'd get some spray can of rust inhibiting paint and just let loose in there. The spray coming out will go everywhere - usually you mask stuff off to protect from overspray, but here you want it!

I have washed it all out with boiling water a heap of times and have already hit any exposed rust with Phosphoric acid to stop the rust dead in its tracks . The stuff I can get to will be easy fixed but some of the stuff is look but cant get to type deal. Will hit it with the pressure cleaner and more rust convertor.
Good idea with the rust inhibitor paint but spraying it into the bowels of the battery area might be somewhat tricky but hey noone will ever see it so Ill just spray n pray lol

I wouldn't worry. There's enough paint flying out of a spray can to bounce around in confined areas and paint everything, even the surface you can't see.

Give it 5 or 6 coats and even the hardest-to-get-to spot will have at least a couple of coats on it.

I was just thinking underbody tar sealer might do the trick rather well .
That crap goes everywhere when you spray it

Just went and had a look and I might be able to get better access when I pull out the drivers side headlight . I just want to make sure I get it all sealed now so that in time I dont end up with problems with rust

Last edited:
had a look this arvo and mines doing it to. still got original battery in it. i'll have a better look tomorrow. shouldn't the battrey tray be a bolt in jobby??

I tend to use sodium bicarbonate on battery acid spills. You can sprinkle the powder on or dissolve in water and pour on. Not so strong that it causes problems by itself.

Trucks getting painted anyway soon so will ring my painter and ask him whats going to be best solution.Its in a prick of a place to get at.I think I have neutralised the acid for now but am hoping he will know whats best with the damaged areas
The acid ate the back out of the bullbar indicator relays but the rest of the wiring seems ok.

Have cleaned up the mess and it wasa mess .
rubbed everything out with a wire brush and then covered everything with 3M Rust Convertor/Primer then painted everything with Killrust.
so far so good.
put everything back together and now am wondering whats best on the battery terminals. I have always smeared everything with plain old grease to keep it clean electrically and sealed from moisture.
Is there anything others have used they reckon is better than grease?

Battery terminal spray.
Cant beat it...must have totally clean terminals to start with before applying.

Latest posts

Back