Fuel pump?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshman

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking for idea on how to quickly get fuel out of Jerry cans in the tub into my fuel tank - WITHOUT removing the jerrycans from the tub. I've tried jiggle syphons and they only manage to get just over half a jerrycan out.

In my mind, a small pump is the best idea. Does anyone know of such a device that will be able to empty a of diesel in around 2-3 minutes?

Hey Joshman,

check these out.. http://www.tanamipump.com.au/

I have not used them.. but they look good.. especially if you already have a compressor setup (which most people do)

You just attached compressed air to the top of them and they push the fuel out.

B

Josh....

Try one of these Whale Pumps from Whitworth Marine:

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67256&intAbsolutePage=1

or

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67215&intAbsolutePage=1&LinkedItem=67256&search123=

There is various types of these to

I think from memory they should fit inside a jerrycan. Good for Diesel, no good for Petrol.... We used these years ago when we were out on the CSR and we had to transfer Diesel from 200ltr Drums into our cars....

I think they might fit into a jerrycan.... not a 100% sure though

Last edited:
I dunno about you young fellas these days. I distinctly remember standing beside my Navara on the SA-NT border (it's a rest area with toilets and everything) filling the tank by holding the jerry cans up while they emptied.

It's a cheap solution, it only requires a little muscle.

I agree Tony.

Whilst I think the tanami pump is a very clever idea, I think I will just save my money and lift a Jerry every once in a while...

I have no problem with lifting a Jerry can and would readily go down that route if it were easy to organise in the back of my truck. however, I expect to be able to carry around 200L of fuel, 125 (long ranger when i getit) in the tank and a further 80 in jerry's.

And the best place to store 80L, is behind the fridge, which is a nightmare to get Jerry's in and out of. Hence the desire for a pump.

Rays Outdoors might have the solution for you. I can't see it on their web site, but I saw it in store - has an attachment that looks like a fuel bowser outlet. I might go in store after work today (if I get the time) and take a look for you.

Problem is, any solution like that will require that you can get to the jerry can to undo the lid and attach the pump. I've thought about this myself, and decided that rearranging the tub so that my extra fuel is carried near the tail gate is the way to do it, so my fridge sits near the front with access from the passenger side. Tools are in between that and the battery box over the driver's side wheel well, jerry cans sit immediately behind the toolbox with the generator and its fuel sitting to the rear of the aux battery up against the wall near the tail light.

If you replace your rear bumper with a bar and add jerry can holders, I think it's illegal to store any fuel hanging off the back of the vehicle. I was considering getting some jerry can holders for my caravan and storing 80L of diesel on the back, but was told it contravened the laws in relation to the carriage of flammable liquids. That would have been a neat solution giving easy access and keeping the fuel away from clothes & fridge, but such is the way of some bright ideas.

I don't see how carrying 80l of diesel on the back contravenes any laws, it's been a while but the dangerous goods code didn't really say you can't do this, I'll have to check but can't till I'm back at work cause that's where my books are.

Hey tony, any chance you can get a photo of your tub layout to make your description a bit clearer, I'm pretty sure I've got the right layout in my head for what you're saying, but I just want to be sure.

I'll do a top-down sketch of my proposed tub layout in a bit and upload that.

jonluke said:
I don't see how carrying 80l of diesel on the back contravenes any laws, it's been a while but the dangerous goods code didn't really say you can't do this, I'll have to check but can't till I'm back at work cause that's where my books are.
Well if you're rear ended... Then you've got a clambake (flammable! Stupid autocorrect!) liquid just spilling everywhere.!

My tub layout for a trip where we're towing the caravan is like this:

attachment.php

The top is towards the front. I have lift-up windows on the sides, so my canopy allows clear access all the way around making it much easier for me to do this. Some of the canopies with sliding windows would make this harder to manage.

No photos of course, I'm at work and not able to set the car up like that just now.

Attachments

• mytublayout.JPG
    mytublayout.JPG
    17.8 KB
Thanks tony! That really easy to visualize. Unfortunately putting the fridge all the way back in the tub isn't an option for me, my ...stature... Is made even worse after the body lift.
Attached is a quick sketch of what I envision my tub to look like. The battery box and fridge are already mounted in the tub, so if possible, I plan to not move either of those. If i ever move them, I'll just be mirroring the tub to try and distribute that extra weight on the passenger side of the vehicle. The hardest part of this is trying to fill that gap behind the fridge, past experience tells me that 4 jerrycans fit in that spot very neatly. and being right over the fuel filler, a perfect spot for the diesel cans, hence the need for a pump of sorts.

Attachments

• image-2719187278.jpg
    image-2719187278.jpg
    11.5 KB
Hopefully you're not considering filling the diesel cans while they are in the tub - it's quite dangerous and against the law as well. The service station owner has every right to stop supplying fuel to you if they notice too.

I can see your predicament though. I'm not exactly short and need my seat all the way back so my knees don't hit the dash, and being very, very (exceptionally) closely related to gorillas (my grandfather was born in Taronga Zoo) I also have very long arms (with the requisite gravel rash on the knuckles as you'd expect) - so I can reach in through the side to get stuff.

I'm not sure how to solve your problem. Perhaps a fridge slide on top of the drawers, allowing even greater storage capacity on the tub floor with the cans at the rear?

I most certainly do fill them while they are in the vehicle. And there are several reasons why I've no problem with doing it.

1. When you get out of a vehicle and first touch the body, you sometimes get a zap. There's your first clue that at least the metal body work (and by virtue of the earth straps), the entire chassis and driveline are now at earth potential.

2. Your rubber tyre insulate the car from the road. That's why you get a static build up on the car - there a potential difference between the car body and earth. With that in mind, why then are you allowed to fill up the tank without first "earthing" the car body. Point 1 answers this question.

3. What they are worried about is a potential difference between the jerrycan and the fuel nozzle. This potential has the ability to create a spark, and thus igniting the fuel and causing things to go boom. By virtue of you touching both the fuel nozzle and the jerrycans while standing on earth, you've brought both things to the same potential.

Like alot of "safety" rules, a little bit of thinking and a good procedure goes along way towards safely getting around a knee jerk reaction/rule.

Whether or not it's appropriate for someone who knows how to manage things properly, the attendant has the ability to shut off supply. I remember one attendant refusing to serve me fuel because I wanted to sit on my motorbike while I filled the tank. He even berated me over the loudspeaker system.

I went to the next servo, threw the FJ1200 onto its centre stand and filled it standing beside it. I admit I was a bit angry at being berated, but I was probably in the wrong.

Just like with filling the jerry cans that aren't placed on the ground. The fact that you CAN manage them properly does mean a lot for you, but not for the attendant. Maybe you need to send someone inside to distract them!

And the best place to store 80L, is behind the fridge, which is a nightmare to get Jerry's in and out of. Hence the desire for a pump.

Do you have a canopy? From your avatar I'm guessing no. Neither do I - but I made up a couple of bars and a rack to sit on them. So now gear that I may need to get at like my 2nd spare wheel, jerry(s) and other miscellaneous stuff goes up top. And the tub can be packed as needs be.

Just another option!

Attachments

• P9300341.jpg
    P9300341.jpg
    24.2 KB
Last edited:
Yeah. I get that a blanket rule ensures that safety requirements are met, but it frustrates the hell out of me though. And I've stuck the fuel nozzle in through the side window, in full view of the attendant and nothin has been said or done about it, not even when I went and paid for the fuel.

People ignorance about these matters annoys the hell out of me.

Latest posts

Back