fuel economy towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig 550

Reaction score
towing across Australia, enclosed car trailer, small light weight dragster, golf buggy , tools, fuel, etc lets say it weighs 3000kg's (which it wouldn't) , 2011 navara 550, regularly serviced, i'm getting 22.5liters per 100k's, I tow fairly regularly (Sydney - queensland) and with the same load I was getting 15.5 - 16.5 l/100 k's ?
any thoughts ?

Mate I experienced the same thing going out to Broken Hill last year. I put it down to head winds due to the open space and the road was at a slight incline for most of the way. In the end I found it better to find a semi to sit behind and use his draft. Slowed me down a bit but save ringing the navs neck all day. The trucks hall as out that way anyway so it was only on the big hills were I could have pasted that I chose to stay behind them.

We've got a 2.5T caravan and manage around 17 to 18LPHK with our 4cyl 2.5L diesel. The trick is to not go past the "sweet spot" except when accelerating. The 550's sweet spot is about 300rpm lower than mine. I cruise at 95km/h, I accelerate at around 2500-2700rpm. I let the car climb hills without flogging it (maintaining 2500rpm on climbs, even if I slow to a crawl) and I don't use the accelerator at all as we descend the other side, allowing gravity to do its work on our 5.5T tonnes.

I watch the instantaneous fuel rate when doing anything - I try to keep it below 10 litres per hour when driving along, and under 20 LPH when climbing hills or accelerating. It seems to work for me.

Cut your speed. Simple
If we tow at 80km/hr, then we get the same consumption as around town. Being a lead foot to make up time and cover the distance puts 50% extra on fuel consumption.

^^ 100% on the speed. Being in a hurry cost more that's for sure. If you have the time then take your time that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back