egr blocking on my d40 2.5lt

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys been through some old posts and searched the net and am wondering should I block my egr? If so where from?
Reason i asked is i spoke to a desiel tuner a while a go and he said its a bad thing to do.
Any feedback would be awesome.
My car is a d40 2.5lt with 80000 k's no engine mods as yet

I don't see how it can be considered "bad". Let's look at it from its basics.

Fuel and air are introduced into the combustion chamber and the fuel ignites in the presence of air. A certain amount of air is needed for the fuel to combust completely. Insufficient air and you'll get black smoke - too much air and the motor doesn't develop as much power as it could. Don't worry about getting into a lean vs rich argument with diesels - there's no such thing. There's no butterfly controlling the air flow - every time the piston heads down, the chamber is filled completely. Diesels absolutely guzzle air.

Anyway, let's introduce some exhaust gas. What is exhaust gas? It's the chemically converted diesel. It's essentially C12H23 + O2 = CO2 + H20. Neither of the resulting gases (H20 is so hot at this point that it's still a gas) allow combustion. You can't light a match under water, and CO2 extinguishers don't put out fires purely by cooling them down!

Why EGR? Because they don't want the combustion process to complete fully. If it does, it might develop higher than desirable (for them) temperatures. At those temperatures, the engine produces oxides of nitrogen. Below these temperatures, nitrogen basically passes straight through the motor ("air" is 79% nitrogen).

Several oxides of nitrogen are bad. NO and NO2 are greenhouse gases and are not healthy for humans to ingest. N20 is not healthy for driving correctly (so the guy behind you is the one to watch out for, don't brake in a hurry).

No mate. I believe it's fine to do so. I have seen pics of Central American D40's Navaras, same engine, same output as yours and mine for that matter and no EGR in sight at all. They came out like that- stock, manufactured from Thailand with a plate over where the EGR valve is. In some countries reduction of Nox is not a requirement.

I have blocked mine off, virtually from new with no adverse affects.

Sweet cheers guys. I just bought one through a local guy and i will pick it up and it tomorrow night. If im right it goes on the drivers side where the egr meets the intake.....or side of motor. I honestly don't know stuff all about these new motors lol

There is a tutorial on this forum somewhere.

When you pickup the plate you will work out where it's gotta go- Drivers side, where the pipe meets the EGR valve.

If you put the plate in on the passanger side then yes...if the plate is for the drivers side only you will want another gasket

Use gasket cement on BOTH sides and don't worry about the gasket (or cement it in as well). On the gold pipe side, you'll have exhaust gas leaking out. On the EGR valve side, you could end up with a boost leak. Just use some Permatex Ultra Blue Sensor-Safe Gasket Cement. Should set you back about $18 at Supercheap Auto.

It doesn't matter. If you block either end of a straw your drink will stay in the glass. Same principle here.

There have been some cases where the EGR tube cracked, in which case you'd want to remove the EGR tube altogether and put larger plates on both ends. Otherwise, a plate on the EGR valve itself will do the job nicely.

Latest posts

Back