d 40 dpf

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonfly

Reaction score
hi, i just bought a navara 2006 manual d40,how can i tell if it has the dpf filter on this car,cant find it in the manual and the oil they have used in the services leads me to think it hasnt got one,sorry if this is wrong area to post this,but not even sure what motor it is yd25 i think

Welcome to the forums.

Look on the dash board with the ignition on the DPF light will appear if there is a DPF. Do a Google search for DPF light and see if you can find something that matches on your dashboard because it's easier than explaining what it looks like.

Welcome to the forum!

As said - manuals don't have the DPF, and it was only on the autos from 2007 through to early 2010. Mid 2010 and onwards missed out.

I have one and I'm not overly concerned about it. Sure, my fuel consumption is higher because it does a regen every 100-300km, but there's no smoke from my Navara and I like that a lot.

I haven't seen a regen yet. Couple a thousand K's now since I bought 2nd hand. Pleased about that>

I haven't been effected by one in 2 years either and I drive like an old man which is supposedly the worst possible thing you can do for a DPF if you read some websites.

I haven't seen a regen yet. Couple a thousand K's now since I bought 2nd hand. Pleased about that>

Generally you don't even know they're happening.

If you have an EGT gauge you know they're underway because the temperature rises during the regen, then settles back down.

Talk to Bosshog about it - he knows the ropes on this.

The regen should happen automatically and seamlessly jjohn. For the most part you will not know when/if it is happening. The only time you will get an indication is when the DPF indicator on the dash lights up - this usually happens only when you are doing lots of slow running ie below 80kph (or 1600rpm) for protracted periods. This can happen either with lots of city driving or when in the bush. I've had the light come on twice - once was on the Gunbarrel Highway, the other on the Hume Highway when towing my camper.
In the former case the corrugations were horrific so getting up to 80kph was out of the question - locked her back into 2nd gear low range and held the revs at or above 1600 - light went out after 10 minutes.
In the latter case I was worried that something serious had happened as I was travelling at around 100kph on the Hume when the light came on. I had noticed that I'd lost a bit of power on the hills and thought that I might have a turbo or fuel issue. On closer inspection I found that one of the vacuum hoses had come out of its carrier and dropped onto the exhaust manifold resulting in a hole being melted in the hose. Did a running repair with 100kph tape got back on the road and up to 100kph - again the DPF warning light extinguished after about 10 minutes.
If you keep driving without taking action as per the handbook the engine will go into 'limp mode' and you will need to get a dealer to do a forced regen - cost about $300. The other thing you need to keep in mind is that the nearest Nissan dealer can be a loooooooooooooooooooooong way from where you are....in the Gunbarrel Highway case above...the nearest Nissan dealer was in Alice Springs - about 3 days drive away at 40-50 kph....in 'limp mode' this would have been upwards of a week I'm thinking.....or a very expensive recovery. Also remember that warranty does not apply to this circumstance.

Good advice ta. Have read a bit about it.
Never seen the indicator light come on yet, and watching for it eh.

I've never seen the indicator light either which too me gives me confidence that the DPF and system does actually do what it suppose to do. If the system can handle it and not request driver interaction then to me there is no real reason to be worried by it.

Latest posts

Back