Chassis flex

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewis88

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone has noticed any chassis flex on their D40? The reason I ask is because when I was towing my tandem axle jayco on a recent trip I could see the gap between the cab and canopy at the top changing as we drove along the highway. I reckon I'd have maybe 100kg worth of fridge and gear in the tray, plus 140L long range tank and maybe 200kg on the ball. I'm not running a weight distribution hitch or airbags, just 400kg constant load SAX leaf springs. Maybe I'm worrying too much, but you do see a lot of d40's with cracked chassis. Keen to hear from others. Cheers

Movement there isn't unusual, the two sections (cabin and tub) are mounted independently on the chassis. It's designed to move a little - but obviously not a huge amount. Any indication of the amount of movement? I'd estimate mine at no more than a couple of mm.

We carry something like 200Kg in there when travelling - 5 jerry cans of diesel, an Engel 60L fridge, Honda Eu20si plus 10L of unleaded and some tools. I also have a long range fuel tank (150L) and our caravan (19' New Age Manta Ray, 2550Kg) has about 130Kg of ball weight. Ours is supported by Old Man Emu Dakar dual-rate leaf springs.

The chassis cracking happens for a number of reasons. The first is overloading with air bags. The chassis is not designed for a single load point between the leaf spring mounts - and the usual culprit is towing something heavy and having its ball weight push down hard when the rear of the car is rising rapidly - for example, when traversing a causeway too rapidly.

The chassis could also crack when using the wrong towing hitch with load levellers. There were two different types of hitch sold up until about 2011 - the first was a Hayman Reese unit badged as 'Nissan' which only had 3 mounting holes on each side. The second was the Hayman Reese unit retaining its badging (and the additional price tag) which had 5 holes on each side. The former had a weaker grip on the rear of the chassis and would cause it to crack - there was a recall on these (click here for detail). Nissan responded by replacing the hitch with the 5-hole version and having the chassis welded.

We have used a weight distribution hitch in the past but we recently had a weekend off and took the van about 30km away with no WDH and the lighter ball weight was easily managed (we used to tow a 1.8T van - the one currently in my sig - which had a 180Kg ball weight). I am keen to try a longer trip without the WDH and see how it fairs.

Well Tony, I'd have to disagree with you on the amount of flex. I've watched my canopy flex while 4wding, it really amazed me the first time I seen it, cause before my nav's I had wagons.

As Tony said it's the cab and the tub mounted separately moving independently giving the illusion of the chassis flexing. A friend of mine had two canoes lashed to the cab racks and a bar mounted on the canopy. After 400kms when he unloaded the rear tie down had worn through the canoe from the movement.

Interesting Lladnar, I'll have to check it out next time Im off road. Thanks for the advice Tony, for the excact reason you mentioned I'm not running airbags. I was keen to fit an ARB rear step tow bar but I'm thinking now I ought to keep the weight to a minimum for this vehicle as I think it's very easy to overload, especially with heavy duty springs coping well with any given load.

with single cab its really noticeable.
cab is sitting on rubber mounts while deck is bolted solid to chassis. the cab moves around quite a lot.

Latest posts

Back