Canopy struts kaput, 2 months old

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digbyj

Reaction score
Hey nav dudes
Went to lift the canopy today and the struts are dead after 2 months, rang up arb retailer they said bring it in and they'll have a look, to which I added... and replace them. I reckon they put the wrong ones in, anyone had similar go wrong? Just like to know the ins and outs before I go in there..
Cheers

Struts are one of those items that can fail in 5 minutes or never fail. They are pretty much just a replaceable item so I doubt ARB are going to try and fix them and put them back. I would think it was unlikely they put the wrong ones in as these things are made in bulk and during manufacture your struts would have come out of the same barrel as many other canopy's and if they were all failing they'd have had to do something about it.

Given the age I'd push them to replace and wouldn't take any excuses but I'd do it politely because they could play the "mis-treatment" card if they really wanted to whether there was mistreatment or not.

I just got new struts for my hard lid. $35 each, just so you know. I'd be pushing ARB to replace them, 'cause I reckon they probably made more than $70 on the deal.

Mine are ok, although I have had other problems, Ive had to replace all the locks(the barrel used to come out with the key ) , the seal fell off the back window and one of the bolts holding the internal supports to the roof rack fell out. Makes me think ARB is not as tough as they claim to be.

My old man had seals fall off his ARB, seals that never worked properly and a rear door that needed to be fixed before it would shut properly.

Ive also met a plumber who had his ARB rear window fall off his falcon ute canopy when driving on the freeway. Was not impressed.
I dont like complaining about stuff ive paid alot of money for and bolted to my car but people need to know some of these canopys have issues.

Credit where credit is due though, the paint job was 100%, the rest of the car has scratches but there paint job is still in top condition

Yeah I guess that's true enough, after 6 years the old mans canopy still looks ok.

Bodgy fix for struts is to grab hold of them and put a slight bend in the rod... They then become friction struts instead of gas struts.

Bodgy fix for struts is to grab hold of them and put a slight bend in the rod... They then become friction struts instead of gas struts.

done that before my struts cost &18 each i had to get 6 if thay stuffed up after 2 month i would be tacken then back and want new ones!

Latest posts

Back