Am I driving a ticking timebomb?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben80

Reaction score
Hi guys. First time post, I've been looking at timing chain issues on the D40s.

My dad passed away earlier this year in a motorbike accident and left behind his Navara 07D40 VSK.vin spanish built.

Myself and my mum have been using it since. Its got 101k on the clock and from what I can tell its missed the recommended 80k timing chain replacement?

It's been a well looked after rig, and seems to drive well, but I am left trying to decide if it's best to move this vehicle on or what we can do if we want to keep it.

Had just planned to keep this vehicle as it suits everything we need it for and is a nice drive, however the mechanic I took it to for a service started telling me to sell it, pointed another navara out in his workshop that was going to the wreckers cause owners couldnt afford the fix for engine damage....

Last thing we need is a failure like this then being stuck with a 15k engine replacement decision :(

Thanks, any info/advice appreciated

Ben

Welcome to the forum, Ben - and sorry for your loss.

You could hav a chat with Paul from yd25.com.au - they sell upgrade kits that replace the weak-as-piss timing chain with something considerably stronger.

It would appear that the issue is not so much the chain, but the tensioner - not bringing the tension on enough and the weaker chain stretches and eventually breaks. The upgrade from yd25.com.au will prevent that.

It's difficult to predict when this will happen, or even if it ever will. My own 2009 D40 is just about to hit the 100,000km mark and we don't have any issues at all with the timing chain. It's basically the same engine as yours.

Welcome Ben, & as Tony says, sorry for your loss (I lost my dad too early as well).

As for the truck -- In the short term replace the chain for peace of mind. And replace it at the recommended intervals from here on.

In the longer term -- If money is not too tight, then examine the option put forward by Tony.

Its clear that you are looking out for your mum's best interests. Just take a deep breath and do some reading on here, you'll find that these are a good truck if looked after.

The book says replace the chain at 80K? I don't remember seeing that.

If it was me I'd have to checked out by someone I trust, have them diagnose whether the chain is or isn't an issue then take appropriate steps based on that advice.

Until such time as this chain issue goes from a few internet stories to a proven wide spread issue I'm refusing to jump to any side of the argument. These engines have been sold in mass numbers worldwide and so far there has been maybe half dozen people on this forum (and a few on the UK forum) who have had issues with the chain. I'm not saying an issue doesn't exist but I'm also not saying it does exist until it's proven.

I heard a report the other day about BT50's with ARB canopy and racks cracking the tub the other day but until I've seen pictures and proof I'm not running around trying to convince my old man he needs to sell his BT50 because of tub failures.

Ben, my advice is use the truck as usual. If a problem arises, deal with it then. The chain might go, it might go in 10Km's it might go in 10,000 km's or it might not go at all.

There is no scheduled replacement for the timing CHAIN, it should last for the life of the engine. That's the point of the system unlike the belt.

HI, and as others said, sorry for your loss.
ALL vehicles are a ticking time bomb, some have different problems to others, you could sell the D40 and buy something else that ends up being worse or better, who knows ?
Get regular servicing and look after it, save up for the timing chain upgrade that Tony mentioned if possible.
I had a Toyota 4runner V6 and although I loved it...it didn't love me back, it was the worst damn vehicle I ever owned but my friend at work also had one and he had a terrific run, it's a lottery !!

Latest posts

Back