Almost taken the Nissan Plunge

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexharry18

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A very new person here on the forum - thank you for the platform and letting me join.
I've previously had a Toyota Hilux 1995 for about 12 years. It was my first car and clocked up 400,000km on it.
I'm after a 4WD again and have almost bought my first Nissan - a 2004 D22 ZD30DDT 3.0 litre dual cab diesel with 150,000 km. I've almost been sold on it until my mechanic somewhat fear mongered/gave a healthy warning about some nissans having timing chain issues.
Very saddened by this and have been trying to do some research since then. I've always liked the Navaras of this era (and the older ones also of the 90's). This car checked out ok during my inspection of it - although I'm no expert.
Hoping to learn more from the forum on this timing chain issue, its prevalence and make the right decision for me.

Into the future, if the purchase goes through ultimately, I look forward to having the forum to assist me maintain the car as I definitely turned to the internet to sort out many problems with my old hilux over the course of her life with me!
Thanks for having me on board.

the zd30 has never had timing chain issues. it was the later D40 yd25 that has them.
the main issues with zd30 is the injection pump and lack of intercooler.

Hey @alexharry18

Alot of what you hear and what you read is the worst of the worst.
People with a problem tend to post the most.
If your first instinct was that the car is clean and tidy, to your liking and within your budget - Buy It!!

Don't let anyone say otherwise

Hi Manning and Tweak'e - thanks so much for taking the time to reply. That's really good to get that confirmation. My mechanic I think is just trying to watch out for me, but he admitted he didn't know exactly which models were actually affected by that timing issue. It is a really good car and I do really want it. It's perfect for my needs.
I'm aiming to have it inspected by a mechanic in the seller's area (which is just the principle I always stand by when buying a vehicle) and perhaps ask them to check the injection pump etc. I'll have a read up on that and lack of intercooler as well. Thank you again for the correction!

in saying that on the injection pump, i'm still on the original with over 400,000km on the odometer. Touch wood it keeps going for a while longer. So mileage may vary i guess.

Latest posts

Back