4lo,hi, diffs please help

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockyboy

Reaction score
Hi again

only asked 2 questins on this forum i am new to 4x4 so i need some more info as i don't know shit. going on a training course want to know some theory before getting asked good to know the answers.

i have navara d40 rx 2.5 things i know is 2wd is highway.
4h is driving on rough sandy dusty like dry dust roads and wet roads.
4lo is soft sandy or snowy type roads and mud its a crawling gear.

when i put the car into 4 lo does that mean 4 wheels turn together not like 2wd but if it is on an high angle like 3 tyres on ground one high in air the one tyre in air spins like a bitch and all the power goes to the other 3 tyres.

4hi wd what happens there is whats difference beetween 4 lo.
what is centre diff and hub lock jesus all confusing.
can you please explain to me in simple terms as im Scottish :big_smile:

jock

Say you lift a rear tyre, without a difflock all the power in the rear diff goes to the wheel in the air. You could pull the handbrake on to load up the rear diff.

The engine is more powerful the the brakes.

Centre diff, Subaru's, Evo's, Pajero's, Pathfinders etc run them. So you can drive on the road in 4wd. They allow different speeds between the front and rear diffs.

Navara's dont have centre diffs. So the wheels when in 4wd are all turning at the same speed.

As for hubs, D40's dont have manual hubs or auto hubs. The wheels are connected to the front diff and driveshaft all the time.

Hope that makes sense.

lsd/ traction control

does this mean my car has got limited slip diff or traction control?.
just confusing myself i think
jock

Latest posts

Back