2010 STX Spain Built

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboGQ

Reaction score
hey guys

has anyone else noticed there speedo being out by a good margin, if i am doing 100km/h i am actually doing by radar 93km/h. even to do a 110km/h i have to set my cruise to 116km/h.

I am still running the standard factory tyres from factory, is this a common fault as i am going to see about it next time i am over east to see if it can be rectified as it is putting on extra km than it is actually being driven...

thanks in advance for any info....

The speedo needle is inaccurate. Just have to accept that.

The car's computer - and therefore the odometer - is actually quite accurate when the vehicle is fitted with standard tyres.

The measurement for the distance and speed comes from an aggregate of the information from each of the ABS sensors (thus you can't modify it with a Jaycar speedo corrector box). This information together with knowing how many times the wheel has to turn in order to do one kilometre provides the odometer with its input, and the rate of turning provides the speedo with its input.

The speedo needle is really just showing you the result of a certain voltage applied across it. It doesn't mean that it's accurate. It doesn't mean that it will stay accurate if you can manage to "fix" it.

The only reliable ways to get a semi-accurate speed measurement are:

* On standard tyres, use a ScanGauge;

* On any tyres, use a GPS device.

You should note that once you change tyre size, the computer will start to calculate speed & distance based on an incorrect figure: it will still work everything out based on the original wheel circumference, so larger tyres will show shorter distances travelled. You will have to allow for this when working out fuel economy as well!

Or.... Get bigger tyres! :)

That will make the speedo seem more accurate but will throw the odometer out and raise the fuel consumption.

As with many things in life, there are trade-offs!

Bigger tyres aren't bad especially if you want a little extra clearance under your diff. Just be aware that there most definitely is a fuel penalty for doing it, unless you change BOTH diff ratios.

no i dont need extra clearance under my diff,,, i have my patrol for the off road work... all good i like the fuel consumption and way it drives,, going to change suspension though

I have the same problem with my 07 D40 diesel with standard 16" alloys. My GPS gives me one speed and my car another , my friends have a 2010 titanium with the 17" alloys, i questioned about it when they set the cruise control by the GPS, they have another car which the GPS is exactly the same speed as the car , they told me the GPS has to be more correct, but how the hell can a FACTORY speedo with out wheel or tyre changes be that far out in speed, mine is approx 8kmph at 110. So i put my GPS in my old car and it is nearly sopt on , so will go by my GPS from now on.

but how the hell can a FACTORY speedo with out wheel or tyre changes be that far out in speed, mine is approx 8kmph at 110.

Mate that's just another can of worms. By law a car speedo is allowed to read 10% +4 kph higher than road speed and it's still legal and conforms to ADR. It can be argued that it's stupid, it can be argued that it shouldn't be but unless a speedo falls outside that ADR the manufacturer is under no obligation to fix it. So in answer to your question it's easy to be that far out because ADR's allow it.

WOW Great law isnt it NOT lol :) No wonder i set my cruise control on the open road and keep having to pass cars used to do that on my old car too and could never work out why. Thanks for that i will set to my GPS from now on, or else it makes for a longer drive , oh see longer drive more fuel more fuel more taxes , gotta love australia :)

Well actually since your traveling the same distance the slower real speeds probably save you fuel instead of wasting it because you spend a few minutes longer doing it.

Got a mate down here who works at the nissan dealership and i questioned him about this ages ago cause both mine and dads were out, mines an 06 spain manual and dads is a 2010 thai auto and apparently they are factory set this way in an attempt to reduce speeding, so when your doing 100 by the speedo your only doing say 96

Alot of manufactures are doing this now, mum has a 2009 peugot 308 turbo diesel and its the same, bout 4k out

cheers sean

That is one theory, there is also the theory that with 17 inch wheels which are standard in other countries the speedo is more accurate and there is probably heaps of other theories but at the end of the day while it's legal they don't have to fix it and there is little the consumer can do other than grin and bear it or use an alternative source.

When my speedo reads 110km/h i am GPS doing 100km/h...thats a brand new D22 i know but thought i'd throw in my 2c.

Mitch

yes well you could say the 17in wheels make it accurate but i have the 17's on mine, gps saying 100kmh and the speedo is saying 106... i think it is just one of the many flaws of the navara i am finding with the suspension and the incorrect fuel usuage shown on the dash.,..

Latest posts

Back