2004 vs 2006 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldsparrow

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post and am looking for some advice. We are purchasing a Navara to travel around Australia in towing a camper trailer. We looked at a 2006 D22 3L Diesel yesterday, has done 137k kms and been twice around Australia. Has a canopy, long range fuel tank and snorkel, quite bashed with scratches etc and some rush on the bull bar.

We also looked at a 2004 D22 3L Diesel today, has a canopy, duel battery, snorkel, bull bar and eco shot gas injection, plus 2 roof racks. Is very clean and well looked after and is 2k cheaper. It was also used to just drive around the city etc as the guys main car, and a couple of camping trips each year.

Is there a major difference between the 2004 model and the 2006? My preference is towards the 2004 just by the way it has been cared for and driven...

Thanks for any advice.

I'm with you. Not sure of the difference in the two models - does the 2004 have airbags? But your description of the two I'd be going for the 2004 model. Use the savings to get your long range tank.

Laughing mate! 2k for some decent rubber and other goodies.

There will be guys on here that can give the details on the differences between the two but I don't believe there is much - just the airbags I think.

Hey ldsparrow,

Im currently looking to buy myself. Thought i was onto a goodone last week but it sold before i got a chance to check it out.

Im looking for a d22 str between 2004 to 2006. 2004 (not sure when in 2004 exactly) is when the series 2 came in i think. With the series 2 you get updated interior, airbags, chrome side mirrors (i think), not sure what else. I dont want to go any older then 2004.

2006 was pretty much the last of the 3.0Lt Jap build ones, so thats why i want one between 04 to 06.

Pete

i'd go the '04 model. sounds like it's had an easier life.

the big thing to check for is rust in the chassis and body panels. a good 10 minutes underneath the vehicle poking your fingers and hands into hard to reach places can tell you so much about the vehicle, where's its been, how well it's been cared for and cleaned. be sure to check along the seams of the cross members of chassis. that's the one places that rust will definitely form if it's been at all neglected (and a place i use a load of fishoil and stuff on when i jump under the truck)

Last edited:
Yep, if you can get a good clean 2004 over a slightly ratty 2006, do it. The 2004 does have the airbags, chrome mirrors etc, and not much else of importance different.

have a drive of both of them. In my experience the 2006 model has a better engine, more responsive and more power. This could be just because of the particular ones I have driven though or could be just in my mind. I would be interested if you did drive both of them what you thought of each engine, ie if you think there is a difference.

There are difference but not much.

Look in the Factory service manual and it will tell you the changes.

Mainly things like wiring that have been altered.

Good luck.

New seats and a new steering wheel are obvious differences inside. My 05 has 1 airbag, 2 when the missus is in the car haha, think the 06 might have 2 airbags?

have a drive of both of them. In my experience the 2006 model has a better engine, more responsive and more power. This could be just because of the particular ones I have driven though or could be just in my mind. I would be interested if you did drive both of them what you thought of each engine, ie if you think there is a difference.

Hi simonk8, I did drive both but the 04 has the Ecoshot Gas Injection system and that was turned on when driving.

I made an offer on the 04 today and that was accepted based on a good result from the comprehensive vehicle inspection I have organised for tomorrow morning from State Roads.

Below is a link to the car.
04 Navara

Latest posts

Back