What to do? d22 or d40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the reply's guys.

The only factor that is putting a big doubt in my mind is the fuel consumption. Do the diesel chips actually increase fuel efficiency? I drive around 400kms a week to work, I would hope that a tank of petrol on the d40 would last a week of driving to work and some around town.

No closer to making a decision. Might have to just check it out and go with my instincts.

AAAhhh It's good to see someone different come along every few weeks and rehash the whole which is better debate. Nissan need to make an extra few models in the Nav range so these debates can go on for longer and have more than just two recommendations.

Although votes rarely sway between makes it's interesting to see how peoples justification for their chosen ride changes as these post go along. I saw screw both they just don't look the goods, if you want something that looks and preforms go GW motors all the way. GW come with the added bonus you can nearly buy two for the price of one Nav.

Ya needs ta get outa dat darn salonmobile and gets ya self back inta a bigun ya grumps.

Nissan has added an extra model... a pathfinder converted into a mongrelbreed mobile salon
:sarcastic:

thats why some of us made the right choice in the thoroughbred D22.
:cheers!:

Oh.. and as i recall of my prediction i made a while ago on here....
the GW is starting to show on the streets.

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

The only factor that is putting a big doubt in my mind is the fuel consumption. Do the diesel chips actually increase fuel efficiency? I drive around 400kms a week to work, I would hope that a tank of petrol on the d40 would last a week of driving to work and some around town.

No closer to making a decision. Might have to just check it out and go with my instincts.

You'd be lucky to get 500km from a full tank on a petrol D40, and that's using every last drop of fuel. You'd probably hit reserve at around 380km or so.

Diesel chips adjust your fuel input to provide more power. You have two choices - use the power boost to improve your economy, or use it to accelerate harder.

I still recommend an ECU reset followed by a gentle drive to make the ECU re-learn its fuel delivery. At 15,000km your diesel is a young 'un, and may only just be settling in.

The diesel ought to last twice as long as a petrol motor, if both are treated similarly. Naturally you could flog the daylights out of the diesel and baby the petrol engine to change that, but in general diesels outlast petrols.

we have had both a D22 and D40. our D40 was the turbo diesel one and it was awful on diesel. turnign and parking it was awful. it had lots of grunt but that was the only thing we liked with it. it also seriously failed off road (but as u said u dont do a lot of off roading so that factor doesnt affect u too much) out of the 2 my partner and i prefer the ride of the D22. and honestly haha prefer the look of the D22 as well. it might not accelerate quite as fast as the D40 did, but those few mods u mentioned change that :) theres also the huge clutch problem with the D40. that is super expensive to fix (ours died at 60000 kms) i am also not sure that the tray is a lot bigger in the D40, as the wheel arches in there r very much in the way for some things. they seem to b a bit more out of the way in teh D22, but it could just b an optical illusion as ive not actually measured them. a pallet wouldnt fit in the back of the D40 cos of the wheel arches, the D22 i think it jsut fits, but again not 100%. we swapped from the D40 to the D22 (had a 2002 rodeo in the middle which was awful) and r so glad we got the D22, wish we had done that in the first place.

good luck with ur hard choice!!

I still recommend an ECU reset followed by a gentle drive to make the ECU re-learn its fuel delivery. At 15,000km your diesel is a young 'un, and may only just be settling in.

So 630-670kms per tank isnt good economy for a d22? I didnt think it was too bad. I dont drive it too hard.

So 630-670kms per tank isnt good economy for a d22? I didnt think it was too bad. I dont drive it too hard.

That seem pretty average.

I get that mileage about the time the low warning light illuminates and then have about 10 ltrs left in the tank.

Heaps of good advice here on the technical side, I couldn't add to that. I can speak from experience on infants car seats though! When the baby first comes home, they go in a lay down fwd facing seat, these seats take up heaps of room, (fore and aft). They have heaps of padding and you would be suprised how big they are. You would probably be able to find one that fits in the middle seat in the d22, but it would be flush up against the front seats. Once you get through this stage and the seats go up right , and then to boosters you'll be laughing in a d22.
regarding your fuel economy what are you towing??? im getting 9-9.5 l per 100k all around town, not even trying to be efficient. still only 3k on the clock. good luck with your decision :)

i was also deciding to get the str or stx >> family came first so the d40 stepped up for room and get up n go...i feel as though the d40 is rougher ride than glxr (i know wtf) i would hate to see what the d22 ride would be like...

u seem to be leaning 2wards d40 if so def get a diesel (manual if u could..no dpf as i have read auto come with dpf and suck fuel than the manuals)

I wouldn't be complaining

My bravo uses 110ltrs for 720kms with no load, no towing

I'd give my left nut to get your economy

Ewww sexual and public transport are like military intelligence, words that should never be used together and it doesn't matter which states transport system you're talking about

If it was diesel I would have brought it straight away, then sold mine. But its unleaded and auto.

I dont really wanna go from 650kms to 400-450kms for basically the same price to fill up. And with the power that the v6 d40 have, i would find it hard to drive like a nana all of the time.

Still undecided.

Thanks for all your input everyone. Decided to stay with the d22.

Still gonna get the hardlid, chip and remote central locking.

Also want to change the wheels. Seen a pick of some wheels I really like, does anyone know what these are?

Buy_2002_Nissan_Navara_STR_STR_4x4_D22_4x4-used-84289.html

I dont want the tyre height (around the rim) to be as big as the standard rims that come with the d22, I want it a little bit smaller. Same width is perfect. Not sure if thats possible, I'm only just learning about all this stuff.

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back