URGENT: Lower ball joints gone - should i replace entire arm?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcloughlin2

Reaction score
Went in for the 180k service today, mechanic called to tell me the lower ball joints are shot and need replacing. Quoting ~$400 to replace both. Alternatively said he could replace both whole arm (top and botton joint, new brushes etc) for around $700. Being a newbie with cars what would people suggest i so? Financially at this point in time the extra $300 does make a difference. Only problem i noticed with it was sometimes over bumps and when you shut the doors there is a squeak noise, which seems to go away when it's been raining.

Squeaking over bumps is probably muck in your leaf springs or the shock rubbers.

I just had my lower ball joints done. Pressed the joints out, replaced to the same arm, refit. $60 each vs $600 each at Nissan (labour additional).

to make sure its ball joints, firstly look at the dust boot around them, if its cracked then you need to replace them because the boot is filled with grease and a crack means dust contamination and noise.
noise will be most noticable when turning left or right in a crossroad, you can also place the front of the truck in jack stands and wiggle the connection between the wishbones and the knuckle, there shouldnt be any play or damaged dust boot or noise.
dead easy to replace, only problem is you will have to buy 1-2 tools for this which might bring the cost up, like a torque wrench.

Latest posts

Back