Turbo Timer Question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equipt

Reaction score
Hay guys, I have been reading all of the threads on turbo timers and have been thinking about getting 1 for a few weeks now, the only problem I have is that ever since i lernt to drive, I was always told to leave a manual car in gear when parked just in case. The problem with this is obvious and the usefullness of a turbo timer is gone.

Any comments appreciated

I really rabbited on at my dealer about this, so much that he brought the service manager into the discussion (an off-roader that gets into the Variety Bash every year, so we're talking someone with experience). Their advice was basically this:

* If you're driving normally (even towing) and bring the vehicle into suburban areas, by the time you actually reach where you're going to stop the EGTs are mostly likely low enough to not worry about anyway.

* If you're driving hard, but know you've got a stop coming up, back it off the last few k's and it's the same as entering suburbia

* If you're pulling up a long hill and need to stop at the top for a break or something, sit in the car for a couple of minutes with the engine idling and then go shut it down.

The Turbo Timer ideally should be directly linked to the current EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) - there's no point running the thing at all if your EGT is under - I think - 180C.

You might find value in one, and just hang around while it's cooling itself and then put the thing in gear when it's finished.

With the seeminingly high turbo failures on the D22 TD I'd reccomend you install one. The handbrake on the D22 are fairly good (well I've never had a problem). If you park on a steep incline just warm it down manually and leave it in gear. When pottering around town I leave it run for 1 min so by the time I've grabbed my thing got out of the car and locked it the turbo timer cuts the engine

I really rabbited on at my dealer about this, so much that he brought the service manager into the discussion (an off-roader that gets into the Variety Bash every year, so we're talking someone with experience). Their advice was basically this:

* If you're driving normally (even towing) and bring the vehicle into suburban areas, by the time you actually reach where you're going to stop the EGTs are mostly likely low enough to not worry about anyway.

* If you're driving hard, but know you've got a stop coming up, back it off the last few k's and it's the same as entering suburbia

* If you're pulling up a long hill and need to stop at the top for a break or something, sit in the car for a couple of minutes with the engine idling and then go shut it down.

Tony I did the same thing when I ordered the ute. There was much discussion and just like the service manager got involved. Their advice was pretty much the same you have noted; around town its not a problem. But if you are canning in the sand dunes then common sense should prevail...

I don't anticipate playing camel jockey a lot, but there are instances when I still think I should have one - even if it only saves my turbocharger once, that's still a significant saving in repairs and delays and inconvenience. However, I have no experience there and of course must rely on others' experiences.

I am in the same predicament with the oil catch can, but that's a discussion for somewhere else.

I recall the legality of turbo timers being in question too. Not sure about it, I'll do some research.

Edit: the law isn't specifically in relation to turbo timers. The law says you are not allowed to move more than 3m away from a running vehicle.

I would propose that the best solution then is purchasing an EGT-based turbo timer and not leaving your vehicle until the device has shut your engine down. That way, you know it's done right. I might go investigate these now.

Last edited:
I am firmly in the camp of really back off on the throttle opening and take the last few KM quietly. If I am driving it normally and not towing I just get where I am going and shut it off. If I stoke it along I give it a minute or two to cool down and when towing I do the same if I have been able to baby it along for the last couple of KM and let it idle down a bit if not.

mine has not done many KM at this stage but treated the same my (Admittedly water cooled) R51 with the YD25 is at 150,000km with no sige of bearing or oil seal issues. Now I have said that I hope it does not fail next week!

i disagree. watching the EGT guage its often to hot even when normal driving empty. if its slow driving on FLAT ground its often fine, but not always. going down hill just before you stop is very good. temps will go down quickly because fuel is cut off.
you only need a slight up hill to bump the temps up enough to require a short wait to cool down.
also differences in FUEL make a 50 degree difference in temp in normal town driving or even driving quietly. that alone puts it up into requiring cool down. a small rise or bit of load (ie passenger) plus poor fuel puts the temps way up very quickly.

put a temp gauge on the turbo, its an eye opener.

I see it as a bit of a waste if I am going to sit in my car and just wait for the timer to cut the power, I would be better off saving my $200 and just leave the key in the ignition.

@ Tweak'e, that is a good thing to know about even just a small hill lifting the temp as I live at the top of a hill, its not real big, but you are looking at about 600m of up hill driving no matter what direction you come from to get to my place so I will have to keep that in mind and make sure I let it idle for a min or so when ever I get home.

i disagree. watching the EGT guage its often to hot even when normal driving empty. if its slow driving on FLAT ground its often fine, but not always. going down hill just before you stop is very good. temps will go down quickly because fuel is cut off.
you only need a slight up hill to bump the temps up enough to require a short wait to cool down.
also differences in FUEL make a 50 degree difference in temp in normal town driving or even driving quietly. that alone puts it up into requiring cool down. a small rise or bit of load (ie passenger) plus poor fuel puts the temps way up very quickly.

put a temp gauge on the turbo, its an eye opener.

That's something to seriously consider doing, I've never monitored one before so only had other peoples' word on the procedure for letting the turbo cool.

I think the ECU gets an EGT reading. Does the Scangauge device recognise that info? Any of you guys with SGII's know?

I have a TT, I see it as an insurance policy of sorts.

I park underground in a secure carpark, I let it timedown while I'm walking away at work and home so that's 10 times a week.

If I park anywhere else I have a good look around before I get out, just stay with the car or push the stop button.

That's something to seriously consider doing, I've never monitored one before so only had other peoples' word on the procedure for letting the turbo cool.

I think the ECU gets an EGT reading. Does the Scangauge device recognise that info? Any of you guys with SGII's know?

There is no EGT thermocouple standard with the D22, the SGII doesn't report anything either.

Latest posts

Back