Turbo or something else

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper14

Reaction score
Hey people,

I have a 2011 ST-r diesel. Just in the recent few days I have noticed my revs shooting up to 5000 when in 4th and 5th gear and accelerating... Also noticing loss of power as it just revs and then I have to back off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah not to sure man.. Say if I'm coming onto the freeway 1st-3rd gear fine but just 4th-5th it just revs with very little power going to the wheels... If it was the clutch would it effect all gears yeah??

Not necessarily. If you can hear the motor revving without much acceleration I'd say clutch too. The higher the load the more likely the clutch is to slip. In the lower gears the clutch/motor doesn't have to work as hard because the gearing is lower, but once you get up to the higher gears the engine works a lot harder so you will notice slipping a lot easier. How many km on it? And do you know the history of the vehicle, as in how the clutch has been treated?

Last edited:
From my experience with having a clutch go in my Patrol and then recently one in the Navara, they generally slip in 4th (why I don't know) and then once they are nicely rooted they will start slipping in 3rd and 5th occasionally.

I changed out the one in the Navara last week after it started slipping in 4th.even though it wasn't slipping on 3rd or 5th yet, it was only a matter of time.

I also had a faulty NPS which was dropping power occasionally in 3rd. But in that case, you just lose power and it's sluggish as hell, it doesn't rev it's tits off like a rooted slipping clutch.

Definitely unplug or replace the NPS and see how it goes, but I reckon you'll be replacing the clutch very soon.

From what I gathered when I bought the car it was an older guy who just used it for highway driving no offroading... There's only 130kms on the car... Might get it checked on Monday ..

Thanks for your help

Probably used the clutch pedal for a footrest on highway trips too.... good luck getting it sorted

I'd say clutch too. 2011 still had dual mass flywheels. If your clutch needs replacing it would be highly worthwhile replacing the flywheel with a single mass unit and a new pressure plate too.

In lower gears the wheels are easier to turn over - there's less strain in the driveline. I'd say your clutch is only just starting to go, but I'd get it sorted before you go towing anything.

I'd say clutch too. 2011 still had dual mass flywheels. If your clutch needs replacing it would be highly worthwhile replacing the flywheel with a single mass unit and a new pressure plate too.

In lower gears the wheels are easier to turn over - there's less strain in the driveline. I'd say your clutch is only just starting to go, but I'd get it sorted before you go towing anything.

You'll find 4Terrain and a few others do a clutch and smf kit for the yd25.

D22s have always had single mass flywheels, so as long as the rivets on the clutch plate haven't eaten into the flywheel too much a skim will be ok...

Oh I missed that. I saw the ST and just thought "D40" and the most common cause of failures in the D40 - DMF.

130K on the clock - that's a bit early for a D22 clutch. I wonder how many hill starts it had to do, or how many times the guy sat at the lights on an incline holding the car steady with the clutch.

Oh I missed that. I saw the ST and just thought "D40" and the most common cause of failures in the D40 - DMF.

130K on the clock - that's a bit early for a D22 clutch. I wonder how many hill starts it had to do, or how many times the guy sat at the lights on an incline holding the car steady with the clutch.

bugger me, riding a clutch on a hill. That brought back bad memories of when I was 17 and had to do a hill start to get my drivers license haha
Back in the late 60's, you couldn't use your hand brake or ride the clutch , if you stalled, then NO LICENSE to drive.
Anyway having said that, save some worry and replace the clutch, sounds as tho it is gone or going.

Latest posts

Back