Replacement cost of Cat Convertor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

possum

Reaction score
Had a quote to replace my Cat Con in my petrol D40 $3200 dollars is this normal or rip off

Today I fitted a hi flow race cat to my f6 and it was only $360
go somewhere else , get another quote

Thanks for your reply, the cat is just the latest to be replaced to try and fix a problem. First the said it was a spark plug (Wrong), next condenser coil (wrong) latest told me the cat had destroyed itself and needs replacing. (nissan $5000 after market $3200) just wondering where it will stop. Wondering if cat con is the cause or just a victim like plug and coil.

You can buy a 3" cat on ebay for $140 delivered...dont waist any money on a cat just get one that works mabee high flow.

possum ive had twin custom pipe setups including cats fabricated for less then that. keep looking. for a good hi flow cat made for big HP you should pay no more then 400ish

Symptoms: Initially occasional rough idle (missing) after warm.
Progressed to rough running at speed with engine light flashing.
Next rough running at speed with engine light flashing the solid then flashing then solid etc.
Dealer first changed spark plug(1). no change.
Then changed spark plug and coil. no change.
Now discovered Cat Con destroyed and needs changing.
my question what caused the damage, did the Cat damage the spark plug and coil or vice versa or something else damaged all items.

The CAT can't do anything to the spark plugs - it's downstream in the exhaust. Chances are the spark plug was damaged first. If the CAT is blocked it'll choke up the engine with exhaust fumes that can't escape and that will cause it problems but it won't go forever like that without doing something stupid, either blowing open the EGR tube, or the CAT.

Did you have a long range fuel tank added? Did you refuel at an old service station, or one that isn't busy (low turnover)?

Dirty fuel will foul the spark plugs and could cause damage to the CAT by filling it with debris. This may also cause injector damage. Petrol injectors may not be under the immense pressures that you'll get in a comon rail diesel, but they can still suffer from water droplets or debris.

Driving through a serious water puddle and getting water into the airbox may also cause some of that water to reach the engine, and both petrol and diesel engines don't fare well with a lungful of water. Checking the air filter for water damage would be a good step if you've driven through deep puddles or lent the car to someone who might have. Water in the intake manifold can cause problems with spark plugs.

How many km has the car done?

Not that i know but For a cat to be distroyed i would imagine it would have to suffer from some severe heat...is it actually burnt out?.what is a good way to cook a cat? very lean running or will excessive unburnt fuel (misfiring engine could supply the cat with the extra fuel i guess)....really just spitballing here

I found this page which pretty much gives us some good clues. A fouled plug can cause lots of unburnt fuel into the exhaust and that will kill the cat.

Nine lives ain't enough?

A star picket will still work wonders.

punch a hole in it and see if it gets better? would allow the exhaust out, (probably wouldn't leave it like that though)

sounds like a great excuse for a exhaust upgrade

Thanks for the input guys. From what has been posted I gather the coil and spark plug caused the engine the engine to run very lean (rough running) which allowed unburned fuel to enter the Cat Con which cooked and then destroyed the Cat. All that remains now is to obtain more quotes to replaced the damaged bits. ($3200 seems excessive)

Latest posts

Back