New member engine question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattp

Reaction score
G'day all
Just about to buy my first navara
D22 2006 dual can ute with a 3litre Diesel engine.

Question, can anyone please advise what the small valve or actuator is (see attached photo) that sits on the top of the engine closest to the firewall, and looks like it connects to airflow or fuel flow?
I can upload more pics if needed

The valve was pulsing with the engine at idle. A/c and other drains were all off?
The engine idles smoothly.

Thanks in advance

Matt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.5 KB
Welcome to the forum.

It's probably the PCV. Positive Crankcase Ventilation. Unless you weld the pistons in place with a nice seam all the way around, when the fuel ignites in the closed chamber a little bit seeps past the piston rings and into the crankcase. To prevent the dip stick from launching into low earth orbit, or other complications from excessive pressure in the crankcase, they put a vent up top.

That vent USED to just go straight to atmo. Nowadays it has to be reingested in the motor so that the gas can go out the exhaust pipe and any small amount of oil vapour that is caught up with the vented gas can also be combusted and sent out the back.

Can't say I've noticed mine pulsing, but I have a different motor too (smaller).

The D22 3.0L is a strong, reliable engine. Could use an intercooler, even if it's only there to catch broken bits of turbocharger if the impeller ever lets go (it happens if turbochargers aren't looked after).

Latest posts

Back