difference between foam and gas shocks?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyf09

Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me on the difference between foam and gas shocks? Im about to get a bilsteins kit in with monotube gas shocks and ive got a mate in my ear about foam.

someone please help?

Gas aerates the oil particularly in rapid oscillation which results in a deteriorated ride experience as the gas is mixed in and the oil viscosity is compromised temporarily, advantage is they are cheap.

Foam cell shocks trap the gas in "bubbles" in the foam, it still compresses but the oil viscosity is not compromised due to aeration.

Gas aerates the oil particularly in rapid oscillation which results in a deteriorated ride experience as the gas is mixed in and the oil viscosity is compromised temporarily, advantage is they are cheap.

Foam cell shocks trap the gas in "bubbles" in the foam, it still compresses but the oil viscosity is not compromised due to aeration.

while that is 100% true it only really results in issues when on prolonged corrugations for extended distances, your average dirt road for 50 -100km would really be an issue but go out bush where your on them all day and you might notice it more.

I've had ironman gas shocks and foam shocks, and for the casual trips I do I don't know if I've ever noticed a huge difference, maybe if you were planning a big trip the extra cost and benefit of foam shocks might be justified.

Reason I got ironman a second time was I got trade of $800. For full suspension setup, rear leaves and greasable shackles, shocks all round and new torsion bars. Cheap end of the market,

Reason I got ironman a second time was I got trade of $800. For full suspension setup, rear leaves and greasable shackles, shocks all round and new torsion bars. Cheap end of the market,

yeah thats to good to pass up

what about an allaround work??

I want the nicer/softer ride while im driving in city/HW and of course comfortable for long trips( at least 4 times a year with 1600km+ each trip).

In my case, foam cell would do the work??

greetings!!

Latest posts

Back