126kw engine vs 140kw engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motchy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive been searching around here and google looking for an answer but I just can't find it!

I'm an offically converted Toyota driver in the market to buy a Navara. However, I was just about to buy a 2011 d40 with the 140kw engine (42 000kms) until the revs check came back no good...

I've found this u-beaut 2009 d40 with the 126kw engine (97000kms) that is asthetically mint! With heaps of gear, but I'm getting a modern diesel for the power, so would I be disappointed? And is the power difference really that noticable? I couldn't compare the two because the 2011 was only on 31's compared to the 2009 one on 33's... I love everything about the 2009 but really unsure if I'd be happy with the engine, and im also a little bit worried about the reliability too...? As the plan is to go to Cape York next year and the red center.

Thanks in advance everyone, I cant wait to start contributing my self eventually!

Mitch

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 2009 126kW auto and I'm stoked with it. The 140kW engine is more efficient - it delivers that extra power with less fuel. My figures are (highway/city/towing 2.5T) 10/12/17LPHK. Standard 255/70R16 tyres on mine, I find the engine labours too much with larger tyres and fuel consumption increases. The 140kW engine starts below 10LPHK, would average around 9-10LPHK around the city and would be similarly better pulling the weight too.

Fruit's important, but so are running costs. If the average yearly driving is 5,000km towing, 5,000km highway and 10,000km city (just as an example) my car would use 2800 litres of diesel. The 140kW would probably use closer to 2600 litres of diesel for the same distances (assuming 9/11/16LPHK). If you don't mind it using a little more fuel, then the fruit that's there might be just ripe enough!

Reliability is important on long trips, we've done a few and can't fault our car. The 126kW engine is known to occasionally drop a timing chain, there is sometimes a fault in the tensioner which causes the chain to stretch and break which is easy enough to do because it's a single row timing chain. A call to Paul at yd25.com.au and a few good hours in the workshop will see that fixed permanently, but the number of timing chain failures is exaggerated by the internet phenomena: people don't get onto forums or complaint corners to whine about their car running perfectly (so we hardly ever hear about that).

With that many km under its belt, it's probably had its front rotors replaced - another "soft spot" on the 2009 D40 (pun intended).

Look for good underbody protection. There are a couple of lugs under the radiator (which sits a little low for some people's tastes) and these can destroy the radiator if you land the nose on something harder than water. 4mm steel plate is recommended. Also check the towing hitch - if you're going to tow and use a weight distribution hitch, it needs to have 5 bolts on each chassis rail. In 2009, the default Nissan hitch only had 3 bolts per side, and the chassis could crack if you used a WDH.

Well Old Tony, I’ve seen a few of your posts on this forum before and as soon as I noticed your rig with the caravan I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed! Thanks for the great advice, that was so much more helpful than 2 weeks of straight research.

This rig has everything, bash plates to winch to big tires and full exhaust. The fella built up my 97 Toyota Hilux Surf so I do trust him and his vehicle, but should I worry all the way up to the cape about the timing chain falling off? Or should I spend one or two thousand with a mechanic like Paul to make sure that doesn’t happen? This is the ad so you know what I’m talking about; http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2821582 All I need to do is fit my roof top tent to the canopy and put a roof cage on... thats it! Also it is still on its first clutch so I might be up for a new one soon? However, you made a good point – brake discs are new I’m pretty sure

Or because I worry too much should I just spend the extra and go for a 140kw rig? The fuel doesn’t bother me so much because it is still pretty good in comparison to other 4wds out there, but I want to keep the car for a few years too

I will also take note of the rear tow bar issue, I don’t normally tow very heavy loads but I do put the motorbike on the tow bar via a motorbike carrier

Again, thanks heaps for your help mate, its much appreciated

Well Old Tony, I’ve seen a few of your posts on this forum before and as soon as I noticed your rig with the caravan I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed! Thanks for the great advice, that was so much more helpful than 2 weeks of straight research.

This rig has everything, bash plates to winch to big tires and full exhaust. The fella built up my 97 Toyota Hilux Surf so I do trust him and his vehicle, but should I worry all the way up to the cape about the timing chain falling off? Or should I spend one or two thousand with a mechanic like Paul to make sure that doesn’t happen? This is the ad so you know what I’m talking about; http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-2821582 All I need to do is fit my roof top tent to the canopy and put a roof cage on... thats it! Also it is still on its first clutch so I might be up for a new one soon? However, you made a good point – brake discs are new I’m pretty sure

Or because I worry too much should I just spend the extra and go for a 140kw rig? The fuel doesn’t bother me so much because it is still pretty good in comparison to other 4wds out there, but I want to keep the car for a few years too

I will also take note of the rear tow bar issue, I don’t normally tow very heavy loads but I do put the motorbike on the tow bar via a motorbike carrier

Again, thanks heaps for your help mate, its much appreciated

As a few people have posted on here you CAN feel the difference between the 126 and the 140.. However, if he has had his "chipped" or "tuned" then that feeling will be offset..

As much as the "Add ons" make this an attractive buy - you also need to weigh up KM v Price v Features..

Timing chains where a weak point on the '07 - '10 engines. And while people might not always post on the Interwebz about it, when you know 3 Mechanics that have seen more than their fare share of Navara's with worn / near snapped and snapped timing chains. So it is a "real" thing. This is given more credence that Nissan would, if pushed, replace a faulty timing chain outside the warranty period.. If you need to replace the Timing chain, factor in 3-3.5K for the parts and job..

The car is clearly well maintained and serviced - this goes in it's favour. I presume the clutch has been replaced for a Single Mass flywheel (the dual mass are well hated by those that had them)...

Turbo free from play?

Just some things to weigh up.. Better to have all the facts to make an informed decision on..

Thanks for the helpful reply Black Outlaw

The clutch in the one in the link above is still on its standard one and I believe I would be up for a new clutch in at least 20 000k's which for me, isn't all that much...

Also it was chipped for a while but he took it out because he didn't like the common rail pressure being boosted up like they all did.

Not sure about the turbo, I'll need to check all of those things.

Also, yes like you said about the timing chains being a real thing. For a while I just thought it was only angry people going to the inter-web-net to voice their opinion (which is fair enough) but after chatting to a few unbiased mechanics the issues seems to be more prevalent than first thought... which scares me a bit, especially if I'm looking at 3-3.5k to fix it! I've already had one money pit of a car, I'm buying a navara not to have to fix it every weekend haha.

95000km on a 08 kingcab...i drive it hard and tow a car trailer regularly and the only problem ive had was a blown turbo(due to me overboosting it for too long) clutch is original and so is the timing chain.no signs of noise anywhere.my idea is drive it like a car (dont labour it) dont work the clutch just rev it and sort of pop the clutch and it works perfectly.realy great truck!!

95000km on a 08 kingcab...i drive it hard and tow a car trailer regularly and the only problem ive had was a blown turbo(due to me overboosting it for too long) clutch is original and so is the timing chain.no signs of noise anywhere.my idea is drive it like a car (dont labour it) dont work the clutch just rev it and sort of pop the clutch and it works perfectly.realy great truck!!

That's good to hear mate, nice looking rig too!
I'm not one to run the clutch but the girlfriend has a bad habit of it....

Sucks about the turbo tho, did you wind it up a bit?

I'm really convinced on the 2009 one, do you ever feel like you're looking for more power or pretty happy with it?

Cheers for that mate.turbo became noisey last week..checked it soon after and found heaps of end play.ordered a forefront replacement.it does suck but my fault with the boost levels (set to 25psi) mainly worked it to 22 while driving...
Power is good but with a bit of tweaking its much better.i have a boost increase egr blocked and a cheap rail chip.with regular checkups i dont see a problem with the cheep chip

Power is good but with a bit of tweaking its much better.i have a boost increase egr blocked and a cheap rail chip.with regular checkups i dont see a problem with the cheep chip

Awesome Ive always wondered if anyone did the job them selves, Ive seen some cheap chips that just do common rail and then I can just so a slight boost tweak and it has a 3inch exhaust. Maybe an air box too then happy days!

That pretty much where im at..little bit of a tweak here and there and they are great..im really after a dtuk injector chip soon tho.just to balance everything out.and for a little more power...while i wait for the turbo im doing the exhaust.new dump pipe and finnish it near the RHR wheel.. just straight thru..
Ive never driven the 140kw model but i have spent some time in the 550 V6.while the V6 is amazing im not dissapointed when i get back into mine.it goes fine for the price and the cost of the mods

Cheers for that mate.turbo became noisey last week..checked it soon after and found heaps of end play.ordered a forefront replacement.it does suck but my fault with the boost levels (set to 25psi) mainly worked it to 22 while driving...

Have you got an exhaust upgrade on ya rig Camo?

Doing a straight thru 3" (only cos i have the pipe and bends) right now while the turbo is out of action.i believe 2.75' is the magic number but 3'is what i have got.im going to finnish it just before the back wheel.and fingers crossed its not too obscene.....

My wagon goes pretty good - it is the 126kw engine - with a few tweeks here and there, and a DTUK chip (which is wound right back to a minimal setting) and it has loads of power. Dare I say it - more than I need and definatley enough to lose your license. I have a snorkel being put on next monday and will be doing an exhaust not too far down the track - purely for efficiencies sake of course.

Great, some pretty good reviews for the 126kw. Might be the way to go, save a heap of money to get a little less power but then spend that money on power increases

Perfect solution..the only thing i miss is traction control.ive seen a lot or traction equipt 4x4 do some pretty nasty stuff.things that i dont think i could tackle.its a nice addition but not essentual for everyone...particularly since if you get really keen on hard 4x4ing lockers are probably better and anyone can get those...

the traction control is what sold me on the 140kw navara it work's great especially when wheels are off the ground. my old 06 rx (128kw) had a 3 inch straight through exhaust and still not as powerfull compared to the 140kw motor with the standard exhaust.

Same.. Glad I went the 140kw New Navara.. Cant be happier and only 20,000 on it but still feels like the day we drove it off the showroom floor..
(Thought they only came out in the late 2012 models +.. Didn't know 11 plate had the 140)

Even putting 33's have only slowed it slightly, Still gets up and boogies..

Like Tony said, whats it going to be used for? Realistically either motor will do the same job and get you to the cape, Its just how you treat them and maintain them... 4x4's arn't race cars.. :)

Latest posts

Back